In this century attending a university is a dream of many students and it is a positive life-changing event that is full of fun and learning. The major barrier is tuition fees, which leads to the lookout for a scholarship either full or partial.
In terms of scholarship, these are ten things to look out for:
- Is the scholarship fully funded or partially funded: Knowing how much the scholarship is worth should be on the list. The fully funded scholarship covers all the tuition fees to hostel fees and sometimes a stipend. While partially funded scholarship won’t cover everything as there is a need for you to cover some percentage. Even fully funded would not cover your travel cost, food, or health care insurance.
- The categories of scholarship: Scholarship often falls into two major categories; merit base or financial need. A scholarship has been given based on academic achievement or with a combination of academic skill and talent or a trait. A specific group of people sometimes get scholarships based on their circumstances typically financial needs. Scholarships are awarded based on the present needs you present.
- Application: Applying for lots of various scholarships at a time gives an edge on getting one. The scholarship is competitive and it sometimes needs one t think outside the box, which can be of help since civic groups and organizations offer scholarships from time to time annually and are mostly not filled up.
- Profiling: Get to apply for scholarships that fit you, this can go a long way in saving you the stress of applying for a wrong one. It is better to take time and identify the ones that you fit in. Not every scholarship fits you, you will end up with high hopes and not get a callback. Also, look out for smaller organizations as they are easy to get and less competitive. There have been publications that smaller organizations have difficulties filling enough candidates for the scholarship each year. So it will be strategic to seek out this opportunity.
- Eligibility: Scholarships have a specific requirement, make sure you suit one before applying. The requirement established is not just for formalities. It is common sense not to apply for a scholarship not applicable to your persona. Most scholarships have it stated how and to whom the funds can be awarded to.
- Knowing how to apply: Scholarship has an application deadline, some come comes with a pre-requisite test and some don’t. Get things done straightly when applying for one. It is important to read all through the written texts concerning the scholarship you are applying for. Itemize what you need to do for each scholarship you apply for and make sure you keep up to that.
- Means of receiving the money: It is important to know how the scholarship fund will get to you. Some funds will get to the institution first where the said institution will first deduct the amount of tuition and other fees that you owe. While some come as a paycheck directly at your disposal. Scholarship providers often state how the funding is going to be. If not outlined make sure you ask such questions.
- Effects on other financial aid: Scholarship can affect the amount of financial aid you can receive, it is advisable to know how it can affect the financial aid you are entitled to. This can be confirmed by the financial aid office or the student affairs division of your institution. It will be wise to share with your institution the amount you are receiving.
- Overseas study: studying abroad is been sought out by lots of students, and funding seems to be Hercules’s task. Advisably, before going overseas, look out for scholarships that can fund your studies overseas. Study abroad offices can help figure out which oversea scholarship you qualify for.
- Have an insight into what the panel requires: It will be great for you to carefully review the laid down qualifications for the scholarship you are applying for. Come up with possible questions, prepare for prompt essays and make sure you utilize your findings while applying.
It is among the big and most important decisions you can make in life studying at the university. Therefore, taking adequate time to figure out available scholarships, and how they can help you achieve your dreams of studying is worth every bit of a second you take to. Do not give up while searching for a scholarship that suits you as there are many scholarships available if you search well you will find one that suits you.
Read more on Finsite